What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to maintaining academic profiles
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Inclusion in the ISIS Directory. The ISIS Directory is a directory of individuals that have an interest in Iranian Studies. ISIS members can choose to opt out of the directory by checking the appropriate checkbox in their member profile.
- We may use the information to improve our services.
- We may periodically send emails about new site features, events or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use your information to customize the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We restrict access to your personal information to ISIS employees and agents of ISIS only for business related purposes. We require these individuals to be bound by confidentiality obligations, which in the event of a violation of these obligations could be subject to discipline, up to and including termination.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used.
This helps us analyze data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system. Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be listed in our directories.
if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at admin at iranianstudies dot com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect. If you are an ISIS member, you can always log into your account and edit your personal information as well. If any of your personal information is deleted from the website, such data is typically deleted unless required to be kept according to any laws, rules or regulations or for any legitimate business purposes.
Except as otherwise provided in this policy, we only share the information that you provide on our website under the following limited circumstances:
1. Your written consent, which consent includes authorizing your personal information to be included on the ISIS directory;
2. To satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;
3. Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; and
4. Your name, as listed on the Directory, to other organizations solely for scholarly and academic research.
5. Specifically, we supply your name, billing address, and credit card information to the credit card processor who bills your account.